Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Chronic pain behind the navel. Had endometriosis. Have Thyroiditis along with Diverticulosis. Reason of the pain?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I've been experiencing chonic pain behind my navel and slightly below it, about an inch, for the past 4 months now. I'm 53 years old, and I suffer from endometriosis. I've had 2 laparoscopies performed about 15 years ago in addition to a c-section in 1996. Additonally, I have Hasimoto's Thyroiditis along with Diverticulosis. Do you have any idea what could be causing this pain? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Considering your symptoms you may be suffering from abdominal endometriosis or gastric problem.
Pain at navel is suggestive of gastric problems and as you a known case of endometriosis, this possibility can not be excluded.
Do you have any gastric problem such as abdominal bloating, acidity, burning sensation in abdomen?
You should go for upper GI tract endoscopy and Laparoscopy for details evaluation.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis doesn't cause abdominal pain until unless patient has severe constipation.
Diverticulitis apart from pain also cause fever. Do you have fever and blood in stools? If not, then there is least chances.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Chronic pain behind the navel. Had endometriosis. Have Thyroiditis along with Diverticulosis. Reason of the pain? 8 hours later
Thank you for responding! I don't have a fever or blood in my stools, but I do experience a chronic burning and pulling sensation which is moderately painful. Sometimes this pulling sensation runs from the navel down to my c-section scar. I have been in remission with my enometriosis for 15 years now. Nothing that I seem to eat or drink exacerbates the pain. Should I still follow up with a GI tract endoscopy? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
If pain is going down from navel to c-section scar then you should also go for ultrasound imaging studies, CT/ MRI scan.
Yes, you should go for UGI endoscopy as you have chronic burning sensation.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor