Can STD be contracted through unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I had protected sex with a girl 6 weeks ago. During intercource i took the condom off because i couldnt stay errect and i thought it was the condom. I penetrated once then stopped because i wasnt comdortable havine unprotected sex. I asked if she had any stds after and she said no. I was tested for chlamydia, gohnarrea, syphilis and hiv a few days after but was told it could be too eqrly. A few days later she tested positive for chlamydia so I took the medication azythromicin for this and i was tested 10 days after medication for gohnarrea and was negative, should i have been retested for syphillis and hiv? I was told i am low risk for these two std. I havnt had any symptoms of an std but isit possible i could have contracted genital herpes in this encounter or am i paranoid and worrying over nothing? Im suffering severe anxiety, struggerling to eat and sleep.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not panic, almost nil possibility of HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Unprotected intercourse can lead to sexually transmitted diseases.
However, if you have tested negative for them, the chances are low.
Syphilis is rare nowadays, however its test comes positive only few days after the exposure.
The same is the situation with HIV infection.
Genital herpes usually is very symptomatic with lesions in the genital area, so herpes is ruled out and is not a possibility.
I will suggest you to not to panic, and get a repeat blood test for Syphilis and HIV 6-8 weeks after the unprotected intercourse.
If the anxiety is very severe, you can consult a physician to give you antianxiety medications.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 22 minutes later
I am currently on holiday and i have found two red marks 1 on the inside of both legs not far from the knee about 5 inches. They look very much like mosquito bites i had ichenes around them for about 2/3 days now that has subsided now they dont itch and havnt scabbed or crusted. They are now just red marks. They never pussed or weeped or looked like a spot. Just raised marks. Could this possibly be herpes or am i over reacting and looking for something that isnt there out of pure anxiety. A week before i was bit in the same place and also on the back of my calf and on my side just above my waist the marks look exactly the same.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes not a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, lesions of herpes are like blisters, these are itchy and have burning sensation, and are generally associated with fever.
These lesions are around genital area and not on thigh low down.
The lesions you are describing do not seem to be herpes lesions.
I suggest you not to worry at all and not to panic.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 30 minutes later
2 weeks prior to this encouter i had another but this time it was protected sex but i was unable to keep an erection. I penetrated once and stopped. A few days later i felt a severe burning in my pubic hair area of which i thought was down to exessive inspection at the time again i was sufferring severe anxiety. My pubic hairs were very long at the time so i trummed them. After this The burning began to subside after moisterising. Again i didnt notice any lesions and 2 weeks after is when i recieved an std check of which the nurse inspected my genitals, if there were lesions would she have seen them then? I was told recently the burning could have been due to high anxiety levels? Could this be true? Thankyou for your help
Brief Answer:
No chance of sexually transmitted disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, burning sensation in pubic area can be due to long pubic hair, sweating and rubbing with the undergarments.
If on examination, if there are no lesions, then the chances of sexually transmitted diseases are not there.
There is absolutely no need to panic.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 20 hours later
But is there a high risk of transmitting herpes after a single sexuall encounter with someone who doesnt know if they have herpes or not or do you need to encounter it more than once? Because I read somewhere that you may not get symptoms at all, or they can develope years after. Am I at high risk of catching the herpes virus? I really do not want to pass anything on to partner. Still very anxious about the situationa
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Latent virus do not spread

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
The genital herpes is usually symptomatic, and it is very rare that it stays dormant and do become symptomatic after a variable period of time.
The latent or asymptomatic herpes, even if it is there, is not passed on to the sexual partners as the latent virus causing herpes thrives in the nerves, and not in the genital mucosa.
I suggest you not to worry, and the that the explanation is satisfying for you.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 13 minutes later
Im so sorry for all the questions. But Buy latent what do you mean and what time frame is the virus usually symptomatic. Isit possible to have a burning sensationon first contact and not develop any sores or ulcers or painfull lesions.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Latent infection means asymptomatic infection which is capable of manifesting symptoms under particular circumstances or if activated

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Latent infection means the infection which does not become symptomatic immediately after exposure, rather the causative virus or bacteria lies dormant in the body and some triggering factor like fever or malnutrition cause symptoms to occur.

Herpes virus can be latent in the nerves for many years and can become symptomatic anytime in life.

There is no particular time frame for it.

No, if the herpes infection was there at the time of the first contact, then the blisters should have been formed.

Only burning sensation is not an indication of herpes infection.
Hope you found the answer helpful.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
So when the herpes virus becomes symptomatic and then retreats back into the body can herpes still be contracted? because I read somewhere about flaking of some sort? Maybe ive read into this too much before speaking to a professional about it. Im scared now that maybe i missed the lesions, didnt see them. For some reason im completely convinced I have this virus. Ive been in a relationship for 6 years and the anxiety and guilt is a lot to bare. Just having intercource with another person doesnt seem right. I feel as though everyone else in the world has an std exept my partner. Would you advise me having a test for herpes even though ive never had any lesions My partner does get coldsores although ive never had one.?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
IgM and IgG levels of Herpes infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Latent or dormant Herpes do not spread by contact or sexual intercourse.
If you are convinced that you have contracted the infection, then you should get your blood test done to detect herpes infection.

The IgM and IgG levels of Herpes infection needs to be done.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 48 minutes later
Is 6 weeks enough time to be tested for herpes?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, herpes can be tested in 6 weeks after exposure.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T