Do cold sores on the penis convert to genital herpes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
2 Quetions 1 is I had been married for 22 years when Kaiser diagnosed a sore on my penis as Herpes 1. I haven't had sex with anyone else and I know she hasn't either. When I was a kid I used to get cold sores. Could that herpes virus stay with me for that long? I know for a fact that she has never had sex with anyone else while we have been together.
My wife has Alzheimer's and I have been giving her a very small dose of marijuana extract in honey. It seems to have calmed her and has eliminated her angry outbursts. Is there any problems with this.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding herpes virus

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

HSV type 1 commonly causes cold sores and HSV type 2 genital sores though this distinction is not absolute.
Once infected herpes simplex virus (HSV) would stay with you forever. It lays dormant in spinal nerve ganglions and reactivates from time to time to cause oral or genital sores.
Perhaps, your genital herpes is a result of autoinoculation from cold sores. It is rare though possible.