What causes HSV-2 infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes, thank you. My daughter was tested ( blood) and was told she has Herpes Simplex 2. What is it, how did she get it, what do we do now?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and. I understand your concerns...

Herpes simplex type 2 is called genital herpes which is generally transmitted through having a sexual contact with somebody who is infected with HSV 2 and even if that person is not showing any sores at the time of sexual contact, s/he can still transmit the infection...

HSV 2 has no cure and even if the sores heal, it remains dormant inside the body and causes outbreaks at anytime mostly when the body's immunity is compromised...

However, the use of antiviral medications (eg. Acyclovir) and analgesics will help relieve the pain and shorten the healing time...

I hope you find this helpful...Feel free to ask further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee