Can HIV be contracted through protected sex?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor...I had a kind of protective sex at a spa on august 31st 2017....however I used a condom while penetrating the therapist but I didn’t check whether the condom tore when I took out my penis...also I had a paper cut and also did fingering...since then I am very tensed regarding the symptoms follows after the incident...had an episode of diarrhoea for 3 days continuously...a low grade fever for 3 days ....ring worm which comes and goes in my groin area along with different parts of my body....now for last one month I had been getting extreme itching in my inner thighs and had been applying clotrimazole as well as miconaloze and beclomethasone gel and had been also taking flucanazole 150 mg tabs along with clotrimazole topical dusting powderbut hardly any effect...I am attaching the picture of my inner thigh lesions....requesting to kindly let me know whether this can be a symptom of hiv or any std infection...pls help
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding risk of HIV and groin rashes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.

Protected vaginal sex is safe as far as the risk of HIV is concerned. However, if you are unsure whether the condom was intact or not, you may take a 3rd generation HIV screening test at 3 months from the incident which would within a week. This would be conclusive.
Inserting finger into vagina is not considered a risk for HIV transmission as intact skin is impermeable to HIV.
A paper thin/ superficial cut is usually self sealing within a few hours - so is not a risk. Only fresh, actively bleeding cuts can provide a portal of entry for HIV through skin.
As far as groin itching and rashes are concerned they seem to be due to fungal infection and is not a reason to suspect HIV.
I suggest you to take Cap.itraconazole 100mg, twice daily for 4 weeks.
Topically you may use an antifungal cream e.g 1% luliconazole, twice daily for 4 weeks.
In addition you may take Tab. cetrizine 10mg once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.
These are prescription medications and I suggest you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Dear doctor,
Thanks for your valuable reply...here I had uploaded a new fresh picture of my inner thigh of one side where the itching is happening...it’s looking scary and at the same time very itchy...humble request to kindly diagnose the same and let me know about the treatment...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I can see a red edge. Perhaps it was a ring shaped lesion which is extending out with central clearing. Yes, it is a fungal infection- times cruris.
You may follow the treatment I suggested in my earlier reply - cap. itraconazole 100mg, twice daily for 4 weeks and luliconazole 1% cream, twice daily for 4 weeks. In addition you may take tab. cetrizine in evening for symptomatic relief from itching.
These are all prescription medications and I suggest you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor ...also I would like to know how to stop the recurrence of ringworm which been happening to me for last two months in different parts of my body...is recurrent ring worm means my immune system being affected...what are the general skin symptoms when someone is affected with hiv....
Brief Answer:
Regarding your fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Recurrence of ringworm is most commonly due to inadequate duration of treatment or inappropriate treatment e.g OTC creams containing topical steroids like the one whicb you used had beclomethasone disproportionate. Topical steroids containing creams should not be used for fungal infection. Though they provide temporary relief but they only prolong the course of treatment.
I have suggested you only plain antifungals - oral and topical, which I have suggested you to continue for at least 4weeks. No topical steroid containing cream.
HIV can predispose to recurrent cutaneous infections but that usually happens in late stages after years of HIV infection when immune system gets weakened - manifests as recurrent bacterial infection (folliculitis, furunculosis), herpes zoster/shingles, viral warts, scabies etc.