What causes loose stools in an infant?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My 4 month old boy poop is somewhat whitish yellow/lime color since 2/3 days and its loose in nature .Previously his poop color was sometimes yellow and greenish in color.

It is sign of worry for this whitish yellow/lime nature.
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not be concerned about the colour of the stools

Detailed Answer:
Hi... you need not be concerned about the colour of the stools. If the baby is active and feeding well and does not have any signs of dehydration you need not worry at all.

I will explain you the danger signs or red flags of dehydration and diarrhoea, so that you will be more confident.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

Hope this helps. It will be my pleasure to help you out and answer your queries if you have any, in this regard or anything else in future.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes loose stools in an infant? 51 minutes later
My baby is feeding well and active. I have heard that whitish stool is a sign of liver problem, due to lack of biles. Is there anything to worry about liver problem?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on white stool

Detailed Answer:
Hi... please upload an image of the stool so that I will have a look at it and then guide you in this. From what you have told me my understanding was that there was streaks of whitishness and not completely white stool.... along with some loose stool.

Please get back to me with an image of the stool when the baby passes stool next time.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes loose stools in an infant? 2 hours later
Please find the image of the recent stool as mentioned.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on pale clay coloured stool

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I have gone through the image just now. This doesn't look like a very white stool, but definitely this is clay coloured stool, which requires further attention and investigation. I suggest you get and liver function test on your baby which is a blood test and then get back to me with the report. Meanwhile I suggest you get in touch with your pediatrician also.

If the liver function test is normal we can be rest assured.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth