How can diarrhea and nausea be treated while on antibiotics for cellulitis

Question
I've been pretty sick fora week. It began when my GP thought I might have clot in my right leg (swelling, redness, warmth) so she sent me to the hospital for a sonogram. It was negative, but the doctor there wanted me to come back the next day.I did and it was decided I had cellulitis. They put me on an antibiotic. I started on that the same night I had prawns in a stir fry for dinner, so when I got sick that night (throwing up, diarrhoea, weakness), my family called the doctor who said it could be the shrimp or a reaction to the antibiotic, so she changed the antibiotic. I've eaten nothing since then but a piece of toast and some Seminole, t I still have diarrhoea and strong nausea. Now what?
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Be it due to shrimp or anything else, your problem seems to be likely to be due to gastroenteritis. It is comprised of gastritis (the stomach discomfort) and enteritis (loose stools). Since you have started an antibiotic please complete its course. However, the cause is self limiting and unless there is blood in stool the cause does not need to be treated. The mainstay of treatment is proper hydration with ORS. You can take Imodium if you want. However, the loose motions as well as the bowel irritation are expected to go on for a couple of days and you would need to be patient.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.
* Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps.
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.