Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

CBC test showed elevated ALT, Cholesterol. How to make it normal?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I am 56, yo female. ht 68" wt 175
I had a CBC and am reviewing the results.
ALT is High at 32
Cholesterol is 286
LDL 195
HDL 69
non HDL 217
These are the only measures not in normal range.
What should I do to get these back to normal range?
How long for ALT and Cholesterol to be back to normal?

Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on underlying risk factors

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If by ALT you mean alanine aminotransferase (which is one of the liver enzymes), then it reference range is between 20-60 IU/L which means your own result is normal. Total cholesterol of 286 is quite high (normal value should be < 200mg/dl and if between 200-239 could be considered normal.
Bad fat or LDL is quite very high >190mg/dl and with this value it will be wise to be placed on a statin (anti-cholesterol medication) e.g artovastatin. Unfortunately exercises alone and reducing fat in take would not help reduce the fat, so you surely will require medication to get cholesterol under control. With this elevated, there is also increased risk of heart diseases. Good cholesterol HDL should normally be higher than 60 (in your case it is normal). Non-HDL or triglycerides is high which also significantly elevates the risk for coronary heart diseases.
So in summary, you will required to start taking statins to lower the cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular diseases. You will also be require to do daily regular exercises, reduce fat in take (especially the junk food type) etc.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor