• question-icon

Are acne, dry skin, hair loss and fatigue signs of hormonal imbalance?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: im 28 I have been having adult acne for the past 2 years. Also my skin is super dry, my hair is falling and getting thinner. Mood swings and no desire for sex with my husband. I'm always tired and don't have that much energy. I think is something to do with hormonal imbalance I went to my GYN and she said there is no way to test the hormones . She only send me birth control for the acne. And I had blood work 6months ago and my thyroid is fine so thats not it. i dont know what to do
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go through both points in my query carefully ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. First of all ma'am, there is a way to test for the hormones; in most hospitals it is called a female hormone panel. But if at all this package does not exist you can request for the following tests:

+Testosterone general
+Testosterone free
+Luteinizing hormone (LH)
+Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH)
+Prolactin
+DHEAS

The next thing I would like to emphasise on is the fact that some or most of your symptoms resemble a possible thyroid abnormality, and so I would like to go ahead and list the symptoms of hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) for your reference:

+Muscle cramps and spasms
+Cold intolerance
+Hair loss (mainly thinning of hair)
+Coarse dry hair
+Weakness
+Difficulty to lose weight
+Weight gain
+Tiredness
+Dry rough pale skin
+Decreased libido
+Constipation
+Abnormal menstrual cycles
+Acne
+Depression (not always)
+Irritability
and a few others.

Please go through this list and let me know if you can relate to many or most or all of these symptoms, and I shall guide you from there on ma'am.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 22 minutes later
I did get tested for thyroid six months ago and they say everything came up normal.everything in that list you gave me I do have those symptoms except my menstrual cycle is normal and I'm a thin person I'm always at the same weight 125
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Then you should get tested once again ma'am :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

6 months is a long time, and especially as you have most of the symptoms, it would be wise to get your thyroid profile conducted once again. Some of my female patients also present to me with symptoms of hypothyroidism but have a borderline thyroid profile, which means some individuals can also present with symptoms even with their thyroid hormones are borderline, and most of them are corrected with a very small dose of hypothyroidism medication.

Please do speak to your doctor about the tests and management accordingly. :)

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
I has another question i get this small bumps on my elbows ones in a while and when i do they itch so bad i going to put a pic
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like an allergic rash to me ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

The bumps in the picture resemble the rash that appears during an allergic reaction. So what you should try to observe are the possible allergens you come in contact with before the rash appears, like the food you eat prior to the appearance, any cosmetics, clothes that have just been washed (due to an allergy to the detergent), etc; basically anything that you are not used to or that is new and wasn't present before these rashes started appearing.

Hope this helps. :)

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan