Suggest treatment for severe acne while on Mirena

Posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 in Women's Health
Question: my daughter is 18, has had the mirena in for just about 4 years.
just recently she has had major I mean major acne, to the point that one dermatologist
lanced 2 of the cyst on her face. They first said she was allergic to her the oil her face produces and now they are calling it adult acne. she has never had acne issues and now the past 6-8 months she is riddled with it, it does not ever go away and her face flakes. What kind of Dr should she go to at this point? I suggest she has the mirena removed and wait a month or so and see what happens. she is getting married in 2 months and she is worried this will not be gone.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mirena has acne as side effect

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
I have reviewed the photograph.
This is definitely pustular acne. Mirena causes such side effect in many females due to the progesterone hormone it contains.
I will suggest her to get her Mirena removed. If the acne growth stops and new acne do not appear after its removal, then she can get chemical peeling from a dermatologist to remove the scars.
If suppression do not occurs after removal, then proper medical treatment for acne like retinoids need to be done.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine