Suggest treatment for swelling on the side of nose and pimples

Posted on Mon, 28 Nov 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My 27 year old son has had excessive congestion for a couple of years. Almost a year ago he had swelling on the side of his nose that almost looked like a swollen pimple under his skin. He has pretty bad adult acne also. The doctor put him on a steroid that helped but it seemed to give him stomach problems and he had sleep problems. He has recently had one eye getting puffy and swollen and then it eventually was swollen almost shut. Back to the dr. and there was bloodwork done which showed excessive cortisol in his blood. Dr. mentioned possibe autoimmune issue. Dr. also drained the area near his eye. He put my son on meds--my son lives in another city, don't know what these meds were. Now he has cut his big toe and it got so swollen and infected that the dr sent him to a podriatist to have the infection lanced or removed somehow. These doctors are supposed to be comparing the bloodwork they've done and will try to give my son an answer to these weird symptoms. Any ideas or suggestions for me or my son?

Texted my son, he didn't cut his toe. he says his toes just started swelling and then got infected
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cotisol

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your son's bothersome symptoms.

Any significant stress can raise the body's cortisol, and this is a normal reaction.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)

25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day Correct diagnosis and treatment requires the opportunity to examine the patient so you must see an endocrinologist in-person.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 44 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes

Detailed Answer:
for good health
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist