Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting. Normal ultrasound. Could these be signs of ovarian cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I took fertility drugs last year, only once though. Afterwards I have had lower abdomen pain on my left side. I was anemic last year, saw a gastroenterologist, had upper and lower gi examination, doctor did not find anything. Now, a year later, I'm still having pain in lower left abdomen but recently have developed stomach pain which feel like extreme hunger pain. With this pain, comes nausea and vomitting and the pain keeps me up all night. Just had an abdominal ultrasound and it was normal. Could these symptoms be signs of ovarian cancer? How can I go about having a doctor test for this disease? Tried asking gynecologist last year to test for this cancer but she wouldn't. Am I totally off track for wanting to be tested for ovarian cancer? What is the best tests for diagnosing ovarian cancer? I am a 46 year old female.

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

First query: Symptoms of ovarian cancer.
Abdominal pain , vomiting nausea are usually symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders like hyperacidity, peptic ulcer etc rarely these symptoms can be seen in ovarian disorders but then there should be other more likely symptoms like irregular menses or spotting or bleeding, weight loss, ovarian mass etc.

Second query: Testing for ovarian cancer.
A transvaginal ultrasound would be the first approach to test for ovarian mass after a thorough gynaecological examination. Other tests could be blood tests for hormone levels FSH, LH, hCG, carcinoembryonic antigen(CEA) levels etc. as suggested by gynaecologist . The confirmatory would be laparoscopy and biopsy which will give the exact microscopic picture and rule out cancer.

3rd query .Whether to test or not
I agree with your doctor that you don’t seem to need any confirmatory tests to rule out ovarian cancer, however I do feel that since the fear of cancer gives so much stress, it is best to relieve your doubts by a ultrasound and hormone levels. As your ultrasound is normal, I really doubt whether there is a any benefit of additional tests. So I would advise you discuss it with your gynaecologist and get the fear of cancer out of your mind. I still feel it is not a cancer but the decision of your gynaecologist would be the best judgement for you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting. Normal ultrasound. Could these be signs of ovarian cancer? 9 hours later
The answer seems reasonable, however why would a pediatrician answer this question? Seems like other doctors such as a gynecologist, oncologist, or gastroenterologist, or even family practice doctor would have more information on this subject.

Thanks for the answer.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 28 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.
Please feel free to ask me any more queries if you feel the need to get more information.
But even after reading or knowing about detailed information , I guess you would come to the same conclusion or rather get a similar advice from any of the doctors.
The query asked by you was in the category of ask a doctor which can get answered by any doctor family physician or specialist of any faculty.If you wish an answer from a oncologist or gynaecologist please ask query in ask a specialist category.
I have answered your query, because I do feel that I could help you in your dilemma and have adequate knowledge on the subject as a doctor.
I completely understand your concern and do not feel that its wrong in demanding a certain test or work up to allay ones fears.your concern for your health is absolutely justified.I just want you to have a positive attitude towards it and a XXXXXXX discussion with your treating gynaecologist.I am sure that would relieve your doubts.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please accept the reply if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor