What are the side effects of benadryl?

I have had WPW in the past and hand a successful ablation. I have had skipped beats for years , but recently have had an increase 6-10 in an hour. I have had an EKG, (normal) echo (mild mitral and aortic valve regurgitation. I will be wearing a monitor soon. I have also had a lot of stress lately. Could the Benadryl I sometimes take to sleep at night cause this. I am a 59 yr. old female.
Mon, 28 Jun 2021

Benadryl contains diphenhydramine that belongs to the group of medications known as Antihistamines is used in the treatment and prevention of allergy, hay fever, common cold or allergy associated symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, itching, rashes etc. Again, diphenhydramines like Benadryl can interfere the action of acetylcholine and is used as a sedative because it can produce sleepiness or drowsiness. Though, Antihistamines like Benadryl are relatively safe in patients with hypertension and other forms of cardiac diseases like valvular problems but in some cases, it may cause cardiac conduction abnormalities like arrhythmia, sinus tachycardia, ventricular tachycardia or prolonged OT interval. If you experience any of these cardiac conduction abnormalities while taking this medication, you should immediately inform your doctor for medical help.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician,