Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Smoker. Diagonised with emphysema, asthma. Treatment?

Hello. I m 31 years of age and my allergist just told me I had a touch of emphysema. I m very scared and not sure what that means. I have had asthma and allergies all my life. I was always on medication for my asthma sometimes tho I wouldn t take it cuz I felt finae but I m learning that was a mistake. Also I did smoke for about 15 years.I
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Concerned.,

Thanks for writing to us.

Chronic Asthma/obstructive/restrictive Airway disease produces permanent dilatation and destruction of the alveoli/bronchioles/terminal bronchi thereby reducing the overall surface area of the lungs available for effectve exchange of gases at the level of alveoli.The condition is termed as Emphysema .This can be easily made out by a doctor by looking at the chest itself whose anterioposterior diameter is more than the transverse diameter.

Have you done all the routinne investigations (Blood counts including eosinophil absolute/blood chemistry/urine analysis),chest X-ray PA view and lateral/Pulmonary function tests)

1)The only solution is to stop further deterioration by immediately quitting smoking without a second thought.

2)Use brochodilator inhalers and locally acting /short acting steroidal(Eg-Budesonide/fluticazone) inhalers.

3)In an acute attack pls get hospitalised and nebulised with above medications.

4)Mast cell Stabilisers such as Sodium Chromoglycate inhalers are also available.It is very useful for prevention of acute attacks.

5) In addition breathing excercises will help.

6)Avoid dust and house dust mite /keep your residence dust free.Avoid vehicular emissions.
7)In addition Desensitisation by identifying a particular allergen can be done by an Immunologist.

If the repeated attacks are not prevented premature onset of right heart failure may set in due to pulmonary hypertension.

In addition pls be under the follow up care of a pulmonologist to avoid /treat acute episosodes and by following these steps the further attacks of Asthma and deterioration of Emphysema can be checked.

wishing you a speedy recovery.,

Best regards.,

Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan.

Answered: Thu, 13 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor