Suggest treatment for upper respiratory infection
Upper respiratory tract infection
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
If the URTI is bacterial then its treated with antibiotics. Clinical assessment is required to decide the course of treatment. The throat and chest needs to be examined. If there is high grade fever, any comorbid condition such as COPD, bronchial asthma or congestive cardiac failure then antibiotics may even be prescribed in viral respiratory tract infections to counter any superimposed bacterial infection. Antibiotics usually used are amoxicillin clavulanate or cefaclor Clarithromycin can be advised if there is a severe penicillin allergy.
To be on the safe side and prevent recurrent infections, influenza vaccine and pneumococcal vaccination should be done.
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any query
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bronchitis and upper respiratory infection
- Feline upper respiratory infection
- Antibiotics for upper respiratory infection
- Treat upper respiratory infection
- Upper respiratory infection in a newborn
- Suggest treatment for upper respiratory infection
- Macrobid for upper respiratory infection
- Treatment and cure for upper respiratory infection
- Upper respiratory infection for ncp
- Upper respiratory infection and colonoscopy
- What causes weight gain inspite of being on Effexor for depression?
- What does twinging sensation in and around stomach indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
- Suggest treatment for scleroderma
- Is Stematil safe with Sertraline?
- What causes low MPV?
- Does drinking excess water lead to reduced kidney function?
- Does Claritin Redi medication cause lymphadenopathy?
- Can hepatitis-C be contracted through a cut wound in the hand?
- What causes numbness in legs and face after taking steroid injections in...