Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Large swollen red area on inner thigh, warm to touch, green pus on popping. Suggestions?

I have a large swollen red area on my upper inner thigh. It s warm to the touch and pits my in a lot of pain, especially when it s touched or when I walk because my thighs run together. I think it could possibly be a boil , but I ve never had one before and I have excellent hygiene (I m a bit of a germ freak) it really hurts and I don t know what to do about it. Around 4:30 this afternoon I popped it and a ton of green pus came put of it. It got even more swollen. I cleaned the effected area and the swelling has gone down but the pain is still there. It hurts so much :( what should I do?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  301
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
The descrption you have given suggest that you are suffering from a boil or furuncle.Boils are quite common and are usually caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, the most common bacteria found on the skin.
When the hair follicle is damaged by a scratch or other break in the skin, the bacteria is able to move deeper into the follicular tissues, causing an infection and resulting in a boil. Boils more common in diabetic and obese patients.
You should get your blood sugar tested. And see a surgeon immidiately , get it drained as soon as possible and start with antibiotics.
Keep having good hygiene, it will prevent recurrence of the boil.
wish you Good health

Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Infectious Diseases Specialist Dr. Binod Kumar Pati's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Understood your concern
Your right..Yes..Probably it is an abscess.
if you prefer self treatment, just clean the wound regularly taking all aseptic precautions. Apply Mupirocin oint. Usually it heals within a few days.

Visit to a doctor if,
1.You feel daily dressing should be done in a health care facility.
2.The lesion deteriorates with self treatment, indicating possible requirement of systemic antibiotics.

Usually pain killer tablets are not needed, but if it is intolerable, you may take one.

Thank you very much for consulting us.
Get well soon.
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor