Suggest remedies for pus filled boils on the umbilical cord

Pediatrician
Question
My baby is 10 days ... He got pus filled boil on his umbical cord... I have attached image for reference... is it normal or something to worry
Mon, 21 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not something to worry much

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your question and have checked the attached image.

I can see the pus point. Although it is not normal, it's not something to worry much. Application of T-Bact (Mupirocin) ointment topically should help in its resolution.

Please note that you should not puncture the pus point as it could lead to further spread of infection.

Feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for pus filled boils on the umbilical cord 2 hours later
Thanks... I dint puncture pus it got rupture on its own
Doc had given alcohol swab... can I continue using??

is it ok to feed the baby by lying side-by-side,side

Brief Answer:
Keep the head end elevated to some extent during feeding.

Detailed Answer:
Although you can use alcohol swab but I would prefer using T-Bact ointment.

The position of the baby should not be in lying position while feeding. You need to keep the head end slightly elevated while feeding.

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for pus filled boils on the umbilical cord 2 days later
Thanks... Baby is getting nose congestion due to which while feeding he starts crying very badly.. after giving him saline nasal drop he will b fine... But today every 1-2 he is crying badly... some time he take feed after that he stops and start crying... please tell me what is the problem and the solution

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to nasal block or colics

Detailed Answer:
The problem is probably nothing but nasal block. You need to apply nasal drops whenever you feel that there could be a requirement.

Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether formula feeds are being given. Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds and that could be the reason that the baby is crying out. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. You can otherwise continue to give Coliaid Drops when needed.

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for pus filled boils on the umbilical cord 16 minutes later
He is totally on breast milk... when ever I try to burp after 1min he start crying hence I can't burp him for 15-20min... is it due to colics ?? if yes then how many times it has to b given

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to colic or could be due to nasal block.

Detailed Answer:
It could be due to colic or could be due to nasal block. You may give Colicaid based on your need assessment. It can be given a few times a day without any worries.

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for pus filled boils on the umbilical cord 45 hours later
Thanks I tried colicaid on 15th and he was fine after that... but today 19 th again he was crying with Same pain.... Is it safe to use Colicaid daily ??

I have another doubt.. is it safe to use Mahahing roll-on..

My son usually sleep with his head turned to his left... I usually make him sleep on mustard pillow... do I need to move his head to the centre ???

Brief Answer:
Colicaid is safe

Detailed Answer:
Colicaid is same and can be used daily if needed. But the issue is if Colicaid is being needed daily, possibly there is an issue with the burping. I do not suppose that Mahahing roll-on is effective (other than peace of mind) and neither is its safety systematically tested or documented. I would not recommend it.

Let him sleep as he sleeps. No need to relocate his head end.