Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Large opening of labia majora, hard in the centre, no pain. How to decrease its size?

my daughter is only 12 and has just started growing pubic hairs when I noticed that her labia majoras are widely opened from top to bottom making it appear like a man`s lip with short moustache. I tried closing them and I got surprised to find out that the middle part is hard. she has no pain or any abnormal feelings. I supposed it was due to her wearing tight jeans everyday. what shall I do to make them close?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

The hard middle part bulging underneath your daughter's labia is possibly a condition called an imperforate hymen. Normally, when a girl begins to menstruate, there is a small hole in the hymen that allows the blood to pass. Considering that your daughter is beginning to develop pubic hair, it is possible that she has begun to menstruate. However, with an imperforate hymen (meaning there is no vaginal opening) blood can build up inside her vagina which eventually fills the vagina with blood and cause a bulge to appear at the vaginally opening, pushing the labia open. It is also possible that your daughter does not have a properly developed vagina, which is something girls can be born with, also causing a bulge at the vaginal opening.

Either way, your daughter will not be able to menstruate normally if she has either of these conditions.

I would recommend bringing your daughter to a gynecologist for examination. Children can easily be examined by a gynecologist by going on their hands and knees on the exam table and being examined from behind. An internal examination is rarely necessary to make a diagnosis. If your daughter does turn out to have an imperforate hymen, a small simple operation can be performed to make a small hole so the menstrual blood can drain. In addition, the doctor would be able to reassure you whether your daughter's anatomy is normal.

I hope that I was able to adequately answer your question today, and that you are able to find the proper diagnosis by seeking appropriate care for your daughter from a gynecologic specialist.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown
Answered: Sun, 20 Nov 2016
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor