Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Injured left knee, minor crack in knee. Prescribed full plaster. Will crepe bandage help?

sir, my wife fell on the floor and got injury on her left knee . we consulted doctor who got comparative x-ray and declared a minor crack. he advised for full plaster . When asked by me about crepe bandage , he opined that as no load/weight to be put on knee so plaster will be preferable. kindly suggest wheter crepe bandage will work, if all cares are taken in exceptional mivement.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Your Dr is right. Crack fracture of knee should not be taken lightly. Knee joint is a load bearing joint. When we stand up & walk the entire weight is on the legs. And also as age advances, age related degenerative changes will occur in all bones & joints. Post menopausal women are more prone for osteoporosis & fractures. So careless movements of knee now when it is compromised can result in residual damage & can result in recurrence later. So crepe bandage is not suitable now.
For crack fracture, knee should be immobilised for 6 weeks followed by physiotherapy. Specific, muscle strenghening exercises should be done to restore the normal range of movements. Then load bearing exercises should be done. Squatting & knee bending should be avoided initially.
Answered: Sun, 17 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor