Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have anxiety and pain in chest area. EKG and stress test fine. Should I worry?

My doctor has told me that my ekg , stress test, ultrasound of heart and xrays show a healthy heart. I have been diagonsed with anxiety . I still have the mindset that there is an issue with my heart because i get pains in th chest area here and there. Should I be worried? My only risks are slightly high cholesteral and obesity . Age 27.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. Considering normal results from investigations, i would suggest not to worry about any cardiac pathology. I would suggest a thorough psychiatric evaluation for anxiety disorders. The management would include:
1. Anti-anxiety medication like SSRIs
2. Psychotherapy techniques including CBT/ Cognitive behavioural therapy
Yoga, meditation and breathing relaxation techniques are likely to be beneficial. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar

Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

The symptoms you have described as pain in chest and anxiety are features of Anxiety Disorder itself. Anxiety disorder may show tremors, shakiness, sweating, weakness, tiredness etc. As your all tests came normal so it is most probably anxiety. High cholesterol and obesity also increase symptoms.
Treatment with drugs like beta blockers like Propranolol is very effective. Other medicines like Fluoxetine, Paroxetine are also useful.
So you should visit a good Psychiatrist for opinion.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Sat, 16 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor