Suggest medication for high blood pressure

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: are you able to help me with my medicine for High Blood Pressure?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to have more specific information about your history of hypertension and potential concomitant medical issues, blood pressure values, associated medical tests (ECG, cardiac echo, available lab tests, etc.) and the previous anti-hypertensive treatment.

I remain at your disposal whenever you provide available information.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 minutes later
I average 140/100 and 85 HBP, no signs of high cholesterol or other non stress related issues. l Started with 10 mg of Lisinopril and with no effect. the nurse practitioner then add another 10mg with HCTZ and had a adverse reaction with pressure in my sternum after 2 days. she changed to Losartan with HCTZ and my right foot was in so much pain I could not walk on it. I stopped taking the medication and the foot is feeling better with potassium and magnesium suppliments as well as Advil. I would like to go back to Lisinopril without the water pill and increase the dosage to lower my numbers
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

Coming to this point, as you tolerated well Lisinopril, I would recommend taking it with the dose 20mg once daily.

You should closely monitor your blood pressure for a week. If after this time, your blood pressure values are still high, further drugs may be added to your therapy (for example amlodipine).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 minutes later
thank you Dr., can i just go up to 30mg of Lisinopril?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Regarding Lisinopril, it is OK to raise the dose up to 30mg daily.

But, I would recommend increasing the dose gradually in order to avoid any adverse effects.

For this reason, I would recommend starting with 10mg daily and increase the dose by 10mg each week up to 30mg daily.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Best wishes,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad