Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Fluid sound in the ear while swallowing. Need antibiotics?

i have fluid sounds in my ear when i swallowing or move my head a certain thinking its just my sinuses...but how do i get rid of it? i have taken most medicines over the counter with no relief...should i try an antibiotic?? it doesnt hurt really..but sometimes it feels as if it could be become more a slight ache but only for a few minutes..then it goes s just really annoying...any help would be great...thank you...
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I shall try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that since your hearing gets better alternatively, it may be an ear block which is treatable.

These finding can be seen in many conditions though the most common would be a eustachian tube defect or just a wax plugging your ear canal and causing the block.

In any case you may do the following:
1. You must take steam inhalation at least three times a day for a week and see if this improve the hearing
2. You may also add an antihistamine like levocetrizine for early recovery. Your doctor will know about this drug. Antibiotic need not be taken as it may not help much
3. If the hearing does not improve in a week then you must get an AUDIOMETRY INCLUDING PURE TONE AND IMPEDANCE and get back to me or any ENT with the report.
4. Get a friend to inspect with a torch light the outer aspect of your ear without putting anything inside to find out if there is any evidence of wax in the canal which if confirmed you can always put a wax solvent to clear them. You must remember though that the actual cleaning and inspection must be done only by an ENT surgeon.
5. You may also need to take a CT of the temporal bone for better assessment of hearing. Also a CT of the sinuses can reveal if you have sinusitis which may also cause this block
Wait for a week or two and in case the hearing does not improve then get the test done and get back to me or any ENT

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to clear any more doubts you may have.

get well soon


Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Wed, 23 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor