Rash on arm. Bumpy, red and itchy. Could this be poison oak or shingles?
shingle is painful
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Shingles is associated with pain, normally moderate to severe. It is actually one of the causes for unrelenting pain in some persons and usually requires the use of pain killers.
In addition, though the rash can vary from person to person, there are normally small fluid filled 'bumps' seen among the rash.
Based on the description and appearance in the images, it is more likely to be an allergic reaction.
You should consider the use of an oral antihistamine and topical steroid. Most topical steroids are applied twice daily , using the minimum amount necessary for a response.
Both of these should be available over the counter though the topical steroids available without a prescription are usually mild. IF there is no response with the mild creams, you may need a prescription from your doctor for a stronger one.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The topical steroid cream available over the counter would be hydrocortisone acetate.
The others would normally require a prescription because they are stronger, this includes cutivate, betnovate
Please feel free to ask anything else
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Spreading red welt rash related to poison oak
- Poison oak rebound rash
- Poison oak and diabetes
- Poison oak rash left dark scars
- Poison oak rash on penis
- I recently had rash from poison oak and i scratched it now elbow is swollen red and hot to the touch
- Recurrent poison oak rash
- Do poison oak rashes leave behind scars
- Poison oak rash welts come up week later
- Images of poison oak rash on skin
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...