Can adrenal insufficiency occur due to heavy blood loss during surgery?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: i was in renal and liver failure due large vol blood loss surgery 8 days before rec 2 abc transfusion all organs compromised and prescribed hydrocortisone 10 egg day but i have a 50-50 shot to survive this med is effect kidneys and liver
red blood cells too small not enough oxygen to organs and tissues on a blood smear do i ned to be treated by a hematologist and is this med proper for my med cons i believe the blood loss also affected my adrenal glands to include a compressed pituitary gland did not have before this event

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go through explaination.

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to hear about you my dear patient.

Iron deficiency anemia is caused due to acute blood loss from body.Severe bleeding results in shortage of iron and its stores in your body Now to replete the blood levels your bone marrow needs iron and vitamin B12 to make hemoglobin. Without adequate iron, your body can't produce enough hemoglobin for red blood cells.Along with hemoglobin large amount of protein part of blood is also lost hence to maintain back its levels albumin and globulin (egg white)are given.It can also be given i.v by transfusion.
AS large amount of blood is lost in small time supply to major organs are hampered causing your body to land up in what we call as hypovolemic shock(volume of blood is less).On smear red blood cells are small as there is no hemoglobin in body.This will take time my dear patient.Body would recover the lost amount of proteins hemoglobin etc but slowly.

Every organ including pituitary etc would be compromised as due to severe bleed blood supply to them was hampered.
You need to be treated by a MD Internal Medicine Doctor and not by a Hematologist.

"but i have a 50-50 shot to survive this med is effect kidneys and liver."-Feeling a bit difficult to get your question kindly repost this part again dear.

Hope i was helpful.
Rest assured you would be fine soon.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 days later

i was diagnosed adrenal insufficiency due to compress pituitary gland prescribed 10 mg daily hydrocortisone daily which is compromising my kidneys and liver. This medication is prescribed by an endocrinologist.. His nurse told me 50 50 chance this medicine is effecting my liver and kidney levels.. i had a blood smear 7-5-17 and was told i ned to be treated by a hematologist fairly quickly.. i have permanent damage to kidney and liver from large vol blood loss 8 days until i received blood transfusion.. i am on iron ferrous sulfate every day and still anemic according to my labs.. please reply asap as i need to know how to proceed medically.. i have a internist he is aware no treatment for blood transfusion.. i ve been with this doctor for 3 months,, i have deteriorated , short breath, no energy , weak feel like i am going to collapse, severe anxiety, i am in fear anesthesia for colonoscopy and endoscopy . blood smear red blood cells too small for oxygen this np that did the labs told me this is the result.. i have a prescreening visit with a np next week to see if i can be cleared for colonoscopy.. THIS EVENT OCCURRED JULY 15, 2015 NO TREATMENT MONITERED AND GIVEN IRON AND STERIODS AS I EXPLAINED ABOVE
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Ok
initially ask your treating doctor to start you on iron polpypetide complexes instead of ferrous salt.The bioavailability of polypeptides are excellent.
Start with 12 mg per day dose for 2 weeks followed by 6mg a day for next 3 month.
Injectible iron therapy is available these days you can ask your doctor for injectible infusion for fast recovery.
start taking vitamin C it helps in quick uptake of iron in body.
Multivitamin infusion should be taken initially every three days then once a week.
No anesthesia is required in colonoscopy or endoscopy.

short breath, no energy , weak feel like i am going to collapse-They are all suggestive of gross anaemia.
kindly enclose reports of your kidney liver function tests your blood profile.For a proper suggestion i need to go through them once.I have to know the parameters to give you a proper suggestion.

waiting.