Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Discomfort by ear ache, pink color fluid dripping out. Stiff neck, prescribed antibiotics. Cause?

Hi, I m in some considerable discomfort with an ear ache. Which I ve had for about 24 hours, I m unable to lie down to sleep because I can feel fluid moving around. When I moved onto the bad side, I actually felt it dripping out. I caught some on some tissue paper and noticed it was a pale pink colour. I m not sure if it s connected but about 72 hours ago I had a sudden onset of a stiff neck , and I could barely move or look around. It wasn t following any kind of injury and occured mid-morning, hours after I awoke. I went to the doctor today who prescribed anti-biotics - but this was prior to the discharge and I didn t mention the neck problems. Is this anything to worry about or should I let the anti-biotics run their course?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  348
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding blood mixed discharge from ear, with severe earache.

Considering your symptoms and co-relating with possible pathophysiological facts it appears as you are suffering from acute otitis media with perforation in ear drum.

For this I would like to tell you that nasal infection and throat infections most of the time reaches to middle ear through eustachian tube, in this way acute otitis media develops, which is a painful disease of ear and here fluid in ear exerts pressure over ear drum and this is very painful. Later on an small hole develops in ear drum due to pressure necrosis which ultimately gives way to collected fluid of middle ear to pass out in the ear canal. this is the fluid which you had seen in your ear.

Now you are advice for-

1- Don't put any ear drop or oil in the ear.

2- Keep your ear clean and dry.

3- For pain you may take tab Paracetamol.

4- Steam inhalation.

5- Mucolytic and anti histamine.

I hope this will help you , but if do not feel better than consultation with ENT doctor will become necessary.

Answered: Tue, 29 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor