What causes a tightening sensation near the throat with a stiff neck while swallowing?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have a slight sensation on the right side of my throat when I swallow and have a very slight stiff neck. I suffer from time to time with GERD for which I receive Omeparazole.
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please go through detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Most likely, based on your description, this is esophageal spasm. The muscles of the esophagus tighten as a result of inflammation caused due to reflux of acid into esophagus.There is very likely inflammation that has happened over time from acid reflux coming up from your stomach into the esophagus, causing irritation.
Other possible causes include achalasia - a problem of the nerves.
Initially i would recommend the you to go for a laryngoscopic examination of your throat to be done by an Ear nose throat surgeon and to take a mild anti inflammatory like Tylenol thrice a day and see if it responds to it.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Follow-up: What causes a tightening sensation near the throat with a stiff neck while swallowing? 52 minutes later
I had a very bad strep throat/severe cough flu virus five weeks ago for several days that left me with a slight cough that still continues periodically with a little semi-thick phlegm coming up from time to time. I noticed today that my blood pressure was 160/86 and I am usually 142/85 and take Losartan. I have Graves Disease and Diabetes.

I had a very bad strep throat/severe cough virus five weeks ago that left me with a very small sensation to slightly cough and clear my throat of phlegm periodically. I can feel the phlegm in the throat and then the need to cough/clear the throat happens. I have Graves Disease (25 years) and Diabetes (8 years) and take Metformin/Glimepiride and Levothyroxine respectively.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its pharyngitis.

Detailed Answer:
This is related to pharyngitis dear-
Take XXXXXXX warn water galgling thrice a day with a pinch of salt.
Take a expectorant
A mild ant inflammatory would help to stop inflammation in that area.
An expectorant containing bromohexine 8 mg thrice daily.
daily.
You can take N acetyl cystein{Mocomix) 600 gram woyld help to break phelgem.

As it has been many day tak augmentin duos twice.Its antibiotic.

You would be fine.