Suggest treatment for headaches

Neurologist
Question
I have a headache every time the weather changes over my left eye and my ears are plugged when this happens. The pain then travels down my neck on the left and hurts when I turn my head. Something like a stiff neck. This is only on my left side . I take a Norco to relieve the pain . This only happens when the weather changes,. It does not hurt when it rains only before and after, I do not have these every day but they are quite troublesome to say the least.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a common phenomenon. Pain killer to be taken as early as possible.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Weather is a well known trigger of headaches. Changes in pressure, humidity, mood which are associated with weather variations are thought to trigger alterations in chemical and electrical connections in the brain. Changes in sinus pressure is also another mechanism responsible for these headaches. Pressure and humidity changes influence joints as well therefore exacerbating neck arthritis symptoms too.

As you may well imagine there is not much medicine can do to make that go away, we can't control weather. However in cases such as yours where it is a chronic issue, occurring regularly, what can be done is to monitor weather forecasts and try to prevent. It is not a perfect solution naturally, but in those days where forecast seems certain and getting a headache is likely, painkillers (preferably over the counter anti-inflammatory steroids like Ibuprofen, Naproxen) may be taken early, even preventatively, a day in advance, before the weather change. This increases their chances of success (in general the earlier they are taken the more effective they are in alleviating headaches).

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for headaches 40 minutes later
The Norco will usually knock the headache out but my ears will stay plugged sometimes for a week. Is there any remedy for this?

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Below options available.

Detailed Answer:
First it can be tried through actions such as chewing gum, swallowing, blowing your cheeks with mouth closed. If that is not enough an oral decongestant like pseudoephedrine is the next step (given your age keeping an eye on blood pressure). If still not enough antihistamine drugs and steroid nasal sprays might be added.

Let me know if I can further assist you.