Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Dealing with depression and anxiety, was an active person earlier. Best suggestive treatment?

Hi Dr... I want to know which is best psychiatry or psychology for depression and anxiety ..i am asking this for my mother.. she was leaving in kerala and an active person for doing everything but after coming to UAE,she is alone in flat.. so got depressed and now taking psychiatric medicine for last 4 months but still she is not getting ok... so dr please suggest what we have to do for this and which is the best...
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response

Thank you for your query. Hope this reply helps you.

First of all, you will have to make it certain that your mother's symptoms of depression are not due to any physical illnesses. Please consider getting a physical check-up done from a physician (MD in Internal Medicine). For example, Hypothyroidism (low functioning Thyroid Gland) can also lead to depressive symptoms.

Of course, change of place and reduction in the social activities can very well lead to depression. But your mother should be able to identify why she is depressed. If she can identify "coming to UAE" as a major factor for her depression, she can be taken for counseling.

Your question is about what is better for her, Psychiatry or Psychology. There is not a simple yes/no answer to this. What she needs is a mental health professional who can diagnose her condition, provide her psychotherapy / counseling and medicines if needed. A Psychiatrist who is also trained in the art of psychotherapy would be the best option. If not, you can seek the help of a Psychologist who is trained in Psychotherapy. Thus, Psychotherapy is the basic requirement. Psychotherapy is not the same as counseling. Counseling is a vaguely used term.

Please search for a psychotherapist in you city or nearby. Language might be a barrier. If you can find a psychotherapist of Indian origin, that might be the best option.

In case you are not able to find a psychotherapist, you can have a dialogue with her doctor about her condition. You can ask the doctor to educate you about her symptoms and the diagnosis and the various treatment options.

Hope this reply helps.

Take care.
Answered: Wed, 25 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor