Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

What tests should be done for enlarged pituitary gland?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 758 Questions
I recently had a brain MRI due to headaches & extreme dizziness along with kidney infection. The scan showed an enlarged pituitary gland, enlarged artery, and swollen lymph node. My doctor now wants a pituitary MRI and some bloodwork, then wants me to see an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor. I fell off a horse this summer & broke my collar bone & hit my head on the ground. Will the 2nd MRI really show anything that the 1st didn't already show? Also, should I be seeing an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor, or an Endocrinologist? From what I read, the fall could have caused the problem with my gland.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 7 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI and blood work up will help. Detailed Answer: Dear ma'm, hi! MRI pituitary and hormonal work up which includes TSH, FT4, LH, FSH, Estradiol, Cortisol, GH, prolactin. fall and head injury usually does not cause pituitary enlargement. why your doctor has asked for ENT opinion I am not sure. Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor