Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for bald patches in the center of head?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
Hi, My name is XXXXXXX I am an IT Consultant and I am 26 years old. Yesterday while combing my hairs, i found a circular bald spot or patch which was absolutely clear around a 2 rs coin shaped. it was in middle of my head and i had no such hair loss issue previously too. I surfed for this on internet and found something about ALOPECIA. If it is the same disease i am suffering from. Would i will be having a big hairloss in coming days or this is curable. I heard that sometimes these spots vanishes automatically. Kindly suggest me some treatment and some medicines courses which i can start in order to avoid any adverse effects. Regards
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Alopecia areata; send a picture to confirm Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX After reading your query with complete diligence I can make out that you have the problem of "Alopecia areata". To tell you simply: Alopecia areata is an locally affecting condition where due to formation of antibodies to the hair roots, there is temporary damage to the hair roots. The affected area appears as coin shaped smooth surface as if somebody have shaved it. Till now we are not able to find the exact cause of formation these antibodies. These antibodies persist for few weeks to few months of period. As soon as the antibodies are getting down by self or by medications the hair growth again reverts to normal. Even then I would like to confirm the diagnosis by a picture. I request you to kindly send few good resolution pictures of the scalp area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). In my experience most of patients recover within few weeks to months with proper treatment. Even if the treatment is not given then also the condition comes back to normal in few months. In yourself as you have the patch on the center of head so you have a very good prognosis. The prognosis is less favorable when onset occurs during childhood and in ophiasis (loss of hair form back of scalp near neck area). The concurrence of allergic disease or any other skin disease or any thyroid abnormality has been reported to be associated with a poor prognosis. Kindly let me know if any of these problem exist in yourself. If I were your treating dermatologist then would have suggested you to apply Mometasone cream over the affected area in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Just a pea size amount is sufficient to be applied on palm size area of skin, so you can take it accordingly in minimum amount. Additionally it is better to add a tablet containing Acetylcysteine, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Zinc, Biotin, Copper as active ingredients. For the earliest relief we use triamcinolone injection in very very low dose of 2-5 mg/ml. Once a month is the minimum possible dose which can be given. You relax and do not worry, you will be alright soon. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology )
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor