What is the cause of itchiness in butt area?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: My butt itches really badly.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection of gluteal region Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached picture. You seem to have developed a fungal infection of the gluteal region(buttock). Such infections can occur due to sweating. You need to apply an antifungal cream over the affected area twice a day. In addition, take some oral antihistamines for the itching like benadryl. You should not apply any other creams or oils over the affected area. Wear cotton undergarments as far as possible in order to reduce sweating. Hope it helps If you have any other queries, please ask Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 15 hours later
How long do I use the cream for? How many days and times should I take the benadryl?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection gluteal region Detailed Answer: Hi again, You should apply the cream twice a day over the affected areas atleast for two weeks continuously. Do not stop application of the medicine even if the rash seems to heal. You should take benadryl atleast thrice a day for some three to five days or till the time you have symptomatic itching. I am sure all this will help. Do follow the other precautions also as told. If you have any other query, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul.