What does pain in the left side of the head indicate?

Question
i am a healthy 52 year old man but have been experiencing a minor headache/pressure on the left side of my head the last week or so.
i have had a minor cold and am a little congested and it is not to bothersome but it is something I've never experienced before and it made me a little nervous.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sinus or muscular pain is possible, advises given

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Headache is a common symptom for most people but some have it more rare and makes them worried.

In your case the way you prescribe the headache you are experiencing seems to not be due to serious conditions.

The two most likely diagnosis we consider in your case are:
1. sinus pain, if the pressure is at the eyebrow or it is face pain. Generally this happens when we are congested due to a common cold and if no fever or purulent secretions from nose this will gradually subside in a few days. Nasal saline solution lavage and Paracetamol might be advised to help with the pain and secretions. If secretions convert to thick green color or if fever develops than antibiotics might be needed as well.
2. muscular tension headache, by the name it has it means is due to muscles having spasms and is not dangerous but gradually subside also. Paracetamol might be helpful with the pain. If other symptoms develop like vomiting or neurlogic symptoms like vision changes or weakness in legs or arms or any new symptoms you will need to see a doctor to have a thorough examination.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact us if more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD