What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: HI last time I asked some queries on this site Again Im want to repeat As I find you are a cardiologist.

My Total cholesterol was 261 LDL 186 HDL 41 Triglyceride 166 Weight now 83 kg height 174 cm 10 days back i got this test done and my BP at that time was 132/80 And Blood sugar fasting 106.

I did not opt for statin and took on to life style changes as earlier I was living a very sedentary life and alcohol on daily basis. After changing my life style i stopped alcohol and stopped carbohydrates like rotis,rice and started taking fruits and green vegetables.Stopped taking non veg only took white egg.Now my weight dropped from level of 84.-85 to 83/83.2 kg Blood pressure is now 110-120/70-79 range.I have started doing 75 minutes of stationary cycling and burning 500/520 calories every day.Also Im taking juice of alovera, and taking a combination of isabgol,Khada Dhaniya(coriander seeds),Aniseed and cumin seeds after me meals 3 times(2 spoons) and also taking early morning a combination of Apples cider,onion,garlic and honey properly made as per formula advised by some people to me.Also i have kept a check on my diet.taking green tea and black tea

Im finding my exercise is going well and pulse rate I'm maintaining is 130-136( 220-age and 80% of it is 137)Im feeling ok but some how some kind of fear is their that should I go for statin .As my BP level has come down and weight also is reducing Kindly suggest me my future plan considering my levels.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Brief answer....you are doing excellent
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
I feel very happy that you have changed your lifestyle and doing very good.
Ultimate target for your total cholesterol should be below 180,for LDL below 100 and triglycerides below 150.
Give a time of six months for your lifestyle measures.
If your target values are not met in 6 months time,then you should think of starting statins.
At the moment carry on with your exercises and nutritious diet.
There is nothing to fear and simply relax.
You are really doing very good.Keep it up.
Get a post prandial sugar level also checked up to know the exact status of blood sugar.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for  any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 15 hours later
Dear Sir

Many thanks for your revert and it has really boasted my confidence level which was very much down yesterday.

I request you to kindly suggest me some suitable diet naming vegetables,fruits which I should take and which I should avoid.I have read on net that banana pear apples etc increase sugar levels but on other hand its said that apple and pear has good fibre. Kindly suggest me the vegetables and fruits good for me? Also Can i have Jawar and bajra rotis? Does this two are good in my case? I taking all kind of pulses every day in lunch and dinner one serving. Is their any specific pulsesto be avoided? Kindly suggest .Also Im told that one more good thing is XXXXXXX ki Chaal which can be taken to reduce LDL. Kindly suggest for this and any specific company making it in your knowledge? and should I take it also? Awaiting your feedback eagerly and thanks for your kind answer.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
You may avoid fruits like XXXXXXX banana,grapes,cheeku etc which have high glycemic index but occasionally can still be taken as you are not a diabetic.
No harm in taking apple,pear,guava etc.
BAJRA and JAWAR rotis  are good.
Can eat any dal.
You may take ARJUNA KI CHAAL because Ayurveda does suggest it to be taken for high cholesterol.
try taking it of some good companies like CHARAK,BAIDYANATH etc
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 days later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

hello Sir

Please refer to my past queries yesterday completed my 29 days day after my life style changes and I got my lipid and sugar tests

TOTAL CHOL LAST TIME( 30 DAYS BACK) WAS 261 NOW ITS 208
LDL CHOL LAST TIME WAS 186.2 NOW ITS 149.2
HDL CHOL LAST TIME WAS 41 NOW ITS 38
TRIGLYCERIDE LAST TIME WAS 169 NOW ITS 103

FASTING PLASMA GLUCOSE LAST TIME WAS 106 NOW ITS 86

I have been strictly following veg diet ,fruits and alovera juice and some other fibre things made of isabgol,sonph,zeera and khada dhaniya.

Also daily has been doing 75 minutes of stationary bicycle and 20-30 minutes walk in night after dinner.

Now you pls kind advice me my future action plan also I want to improve HDL how to do it? Also to reduce LDL further?Also Should I go for blood test two hours after meal now?I hope above results are satisfactory. Kindly advice should I keep same routine? Can I be a bit lenient on taking fish? and chicken? that too steamed or some soup and also can I take 3 small pegs of whisky once or twice a week . So that I can stabilise my future life plan now. Iw ant to stabilise my plan Also In last 30 days I lost weight I started at 85.4 kg and today I was 79 kg. As I have kept a strict control on diet by not eating rice and rotis and taking only curd from skimmed milk and green veg and dal. Kindly give me your advice on above and future plan.Also I had been suggested by my local doctors to take Bevon CD capsule since last 30 days should I continue it? Pls advice , last time your words gave me lot of confidence and I owe my results to you. Awaiting your reply Rgds
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 37 minutes later
You have really done marvellous. Keep dong it as it is only a month.
Ideally lifestyle changes measures are followed for at least 4-6 months to see the proper result. So keep  doing it.
Your values are mostly normal except LDL which is still high  although bettervhan before.
HDL is low. The only sure shot way to increase is exercises only.There is no specific medicine for it.
Although fasting sugar is pretty good but still must get a 2 hour after breakfast sugar reading done.
You may continue BEVON CD for a month more.
You can take fish and chicken but either steamed or tandoori.
You can take couple of small pegs twice a week.
Carry on with your exercises.
I sincerely hope you should be able to achieve your parameters with your dedication,persistence and hard work.
Wish you best of luck
Thanks