What does delayed period indicate?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, So my period is nine days late and I dunno if it was cause stress at work because I was sick, but I kept experiencing what is for me abnormal amount of just regular discharge during the time my period was suppose to happen. However, today I think I got my period but am not sure cause it's like a mixture of old blood and new blood. Which is usually for me cause am pretty regular in my periods and this has never happened before. Is this anything to be concerned about ?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need investigation.

Detailed Answer:

If you have always been regular with your cycles, this delay with abnormal discharge needs further investigation. if you are sexually active, pregnancy needs to be excluded.

Please get a home pregnancy test with a fresh early morning sample of urine or the estimation of the serum beta-hCG titres to confirm/exclude pregnancy. If negative, this could be a delayed cycle possibly due to hormone disturbance. Stress can often cause such disturbances, which are usually self-corrective and hence, transient. Breakthrough bleeds often happen in such cycles and appear as combination of old and new blood.

If positive, you need to go for a trans-vaginal sonogram to assess the status of your pregnancy and to locate the sac and the gestation age.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 10 hours later
I actually have done a few pregnancy test some the early response kind other of the paper strip type all have come back negative, and I always tested in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPTs are read better 3-7 days after the missed period.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Since you have already done some HPTs which have read negative, pregnancy is less likely. HPTs are done 3-7 days after the missed period as they may not read well when performed earlier. Yet, in the current scenario, you should see a specialist for a proper clinical appraisal of the situation. You may also need a blood test for pregnancy and a trans-vaginal sonogram to know the status of the pelvic organs.

Apart from these, you can also get routine blood counts and urinalysis to exclude other infections. In the absence of pregnancy, menstrual disturbances of this sort can occur with sudden weight disturbances, stress, infections, hormone imbalances and certain medications.

Hope I have given enough clarification. Please get back if you need more help. I will be glad to do so.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN