What does a lump inside vagina indicate?

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I can feel a lump inside my vagina. It is about the size of a hard grape. It is not painful
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Might be bartholin's cyst ( benign)

Detailed Answer:

I understand that you are concerned about a non painful lump inside the vagina on one side which is the size of a grape. Well , it could most likely be a BARTHOLIN'S CYST. It is a benign lesion which is formed due to blockage of bartholin glands at the duct level which opens in the vestibule region near the labia minora.

As mentioned by you, it is classically painless. Ideally unless symptomatic and large , it is not operated upon. Secondly medicinal treatment is not rewarding. If it increases in size , then it has to be opened and marsupialized and the obstruction is relieved by just a simple cruciate incision.

So presently, observation is advised and surgical removal can be contemplated later.

I hope I have answered your query.
regards,
Dr.Sameer Kumar
If you have follow up query then you may contact me directly else you may close the query.
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sameer-kumar/68814
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 16 minutes later
I have this almost a year. Although it is not painful sometimes it feels like a heavy sensation. I even have to change the position I sit!!!!
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if symptomatic, preference is surgery...

Detailed Answer:
hello,
Thanks for following up,

Well if its causing you inconvenience while sitting , then it simply means its symptomatic. the heavy sensation is again characteristic.

Usually , patients report to doctors when they have problems during sex because of such lumps and they tend to avoid the prospect of surgery which is actually very simple.

In your case , going by another school of thought, now that the lump is making you consciously its presence felt while sitting now, then it is advisable to get it evaluated by a gynae during a vaginal examination , and she/he would be able to provide you with a clinical view based on examination. If surgery is suggested, then you may go ahead with it without any hesitation.

I hope that suggestion helps. the reason i am suggesting that is because there is technically and medically no remedy but surgery now or later. so its totally your choice as to how long you would like to carry on with it.

regards,
Dr.Sameer Kumar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist