What do these following blood sugar readings indicate?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have recently checked my blood sugar levels on 11th March 2017
The values are fasting is 93.9 mg/dl, while 2 hours after lunch is 86.1 mg/dl.
Is it ok to get a lower sugar level post lunch than the fasting level?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Was it oral glucose tolerance test?

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

It may be hypoglycemic.

Kindly upload the reports so that I am better able to help. What did you eat in lunch before the 2 hr value.

I would suggest that you get an oral glucose tolerance test to exactly know the results. In this 75 mg of glucose are taken and compared with standard reference range.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 minutes later
in the lunch I had 2 chapatis + karela vegetable. No intake of any glucose. This was just a routine check up. I do not have any issues.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Karela can lower sugar levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Karela can lower sugar levels. Hope you are not taking any medicines.

To clear any confusion, we an still get oral GTT test done.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 minutes later
Are the readings generally ok? Is it abnormail to get a lower value?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes these seem ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since the test has been done only once and that too after eating karela, I will consider it as normal.
The normal values are:
Fasting: 70 - 100 mg/dl
2 hour after meal: less than 140 mg/dl.

A level of 86 is almost near normal. If it dips less than 45 it will cause symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Dr Vaishalee