• question-icon

What does my GTT test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Attempting to get a handle on my anxiety issues, therapist recommended I redo a GTT test (most of my anxiety is based on physical symptoms), last glucose test was 14 years ago. Latest numbers...fasting 112, 1st 178 2nd 246 3rd 362, 4th 198, 5th 31 (thirty-one) and now, the Dr is telling me I'm not diabetic, even though if I had only done a two hour GTT, that's what the diagnosis would be. but bc my fasting is 'borderline' and I dropped to a 31 on my own, I am not diabetic. It's "just hypoglycemia "....but my concern is reading that damage can happen at blood sugars over 140 to 170. I'm not over weight, I'm actually underweight. If I eat ANY carbs, my sugar two hours later are always over 150, usually closer to 200. so, now I only eat meat and rarely cheese. I can't even handle low glycemic vegetables. even if i eat them with lots of butter and a good chunk of protein. is eating meat only going to hurt me long term...should I seek out a second opinion...and, can blood sugars raising that high and then dropping into the lower 60's and 50's contribute to anxiety issues?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Blood sugars can safely range up to 300 before causing any type of damage, so I would not be concerned by these numbers. Glucose is also not directly tied to anxiety so I would not be concerned about this either. Continue management of your blood sugar with your current doctor, who is correct and doing a good job.

Please rate and close your answer when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Every current medical journal and piece of medical literature I have read in the last two days completely disagrees with your assessment that those blood sugar numbers are safe and/or normal. Can I get someone else to answer this question, preferably an endocrinologist. I'm not accepting your answer nor going to your own website thing. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Of course, you can always ask another question directed towards an Endocrinologist.

I will reaffirm that whatever you are reading is not entirely correct. As a medical doctor I can tell you with confidence that a few readings of glucose above 200 but less than 300-400 is nowhere near dangerous enough to cause any kind of permanent damage, and as a mental health expert, I can further affirm that glucose readings are in no way causative of anxiety symptoms.

There is no evidence at all to support the idea that fluctuating glucose levels cause anxiety. Anxiety is related to the subcortical structures of the brain including the amygdala and limbic system which are separated from the peripheral circulation by the blood-brain barrier preventing glucose fluctuations from even reaching them.

Dr. Sheppe

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist