• question-icon

Is it safe to take Gycomet 500mg for high GTT during pregnancy?

hello doctor, now i m 7 months pregnant.. GTT test has been taken and which seems to be high according to the doctor(GTT test with 75gms sugar; fasting - 75, 1hr - 160, 2hrs - 183 and 3hrs - 132). My doctor advised to be in diet control for a couple of week and then she is planned to take third time GTT test for me, later if that is also seems to be high, she will give insulin it seems. now i m taking Gycomet 500mg thrice a day. Could you please provide me an advise.....
Mon, 21 Sep 2015

Yes Glycomet can be taken for gestational diabetes as you are doing.
The first step is usually diet and exercise if they don't help then next is oral medication like Glycomet. and if still not under control then Insulin injections.
It would be good if you did self monitoring of blood sugars at home along with the medications.As this would give a better idea of the fluctuation in blood sugars.
Also do fasting and post prandial sugars rather than GTT now,as GTT is used to identify gestational diabetes.But once identified it is monitored with blood sugars.

Also go for regular ultrasound scans to see the growth of your baby.

Hope this helps .
Regards.