• question-icon

What causes elevated blood sugar levels in a pregnancy?

Doctor I am 26 week pregnent. Today I go for GTT test where I found I am having sugar. During fasting it shows 126 mgldl. Then after taking 100gm of glucose it reveals after every hour as 215:172:118. My previous history is that it has 3 years of marriage. I am for my 1st baby, just a voluntary delay. Age- 34years ; Weight : 72.8 kg B.P. : 130/80, Height : 5 8 .
Thu, 20 Aug 2015
Hallow Mumma,

You have indeed given full history in precise words.

There are two reasons for appearing sugar in the urine during pregnancy.
Let me explain you that.

1. Usually, all the sugar that is present in the blood is filtered in the kidneys into the forming urine. However, it is reabsorbed in the later part of the kidney up to certain limits. Thus Sugar is not detected in urine of normal individual. However, during pregnancy, this capacity of kidney of reabsorption of sugar diminishes. Thus even in non diabetic pregnant woman also, sugar can be detected during pregnancy.

2. The woman who have got genes of having diabetes in the body, may not have overt diabetes for initial years of life. It is called as latent phase of diabetes. Whenever there is any stress on the body, the diabetes becomes overt for the time and may become latent again after the stress is gone. Pregnancy is a stressful situation for the body. Pregnancy is known as diabetogenic condition. Hence, latent diabetes in their body, gets overt one during pregnancy. It may again become latent after delivery or may remain for the life time.

To distinguish between the sugar in urine due to diminished kidney absorption, a sugar load is given and then serial blood sugar levels and urine sugar examination are done.

This test (GTT) was performed on you and you have been very rightly diagnosed Diabetic. You will have to control your diet with the advice of a diet consultant. Also you need to take antidiabetic treatment. Not all the medicines against diabetes are safe for the baby. So please consult your OBSTETRICIAN before taking any medicines.

You have to have close watch with ultrasonography throughout the pregnancy. Also keep a watch on blood pressure, anaemia and other complications as they are commoner in diabetes. Take care not to have any infection.

Under good Obstetric care, you should have uneventful pregnancy and a bonny baby. Remember, the babies of Diabetic mothers are heavier at birth however, they behave like a premature baby.

Wishing you a healthy child.