What do these following VDRL and TPHA test reports indicate?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I detected sipilis with vdrl 1/32 and tpha 1/640 after 1 month ate antibiotics tested result is vdrl 1/16 and tpha 1/640. Why is tphs don't decrease?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Because it shows presence of antibodies

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.

VDRL and TPHA are tests for syphilis which are for veneral disease and treponema pallidum respectively.
VDRL will show the stage of infection and disease level in you body.
Whereas TPHA shows antibody formation in your body against treponema pallidum ie. agent causing syphilis.

As you have taken antibiotics course and so in response your VDRL levels have come down which indicates that treatment have worked and infection has one down.
now, TPHA levels at same titres 1/640 indicates that antibodies have formed and it will be positive for long time as it only shows that your blood has antibodies against syphilis.

So to decrease TPHA levels it will take longer time but it doesn't mean that you are still infected with syphilis. It just shows that you have been previously infected with syphilis and does not correlate with any active infection.

So do not worry as your VDRL levels have come down which suggest that treatment is working.

I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any more query kindly write back to me.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 4 hours later
Thanks doctor for your reply, another questions :
o with VDRL 1/16, must I still take another antibiotics or penicilin injection?
o currently, my left eyes can't see clearly and the doctor said that my retina has swollen and this caused by stress. Is this also caused by sipilis?
o i am afraid that I also can suffer by HIV, what is the syndroms of this HIV?
Thanks
Brief Answer:
penicillin will be adequate. kindly read along

Detailed Answer:
Hello, thanks for following up with me.
There is a regimen for penicillin injections. IF there is fall in titres that means treatment with penicillin is working and it will advisable to complete the course as been given by your doctor.
So continue with penicillin injections.
Retinal swelling can be due to multiple reasons but yes one of the reasons is syphilis called as ocular syphilis but the findings in this condition is different from what your doctor saw that is retinal swelling. So both do not go along and what your doctor suspected the reason as stress might be correct.
HIV can be asymptomatic or it can come with symptoms like fever, malaise, weight loss, recurrent infections and other non specific complaints. If you want to be sure just get a HIV testing done from lab so as to be 100% sure that there is no HIV infection.
I hope I have answered your queries well.
I f you have any more questions kindly write back to me will be happy to help you.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj