What causes itchy bumps on the legs and arms after swimming?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Can my symptoms be chemical burn on skin? I have itching bumps on legs and arms after swimming in pool inMexico ( walls of pool were being scrubbed in heated pool. I swam at other end ), then running on the beach in hot sun. It spreads, blisters, and then heals. Originally, I thought it was bed bugs, but it does not look like those symptoms. I went to urgent Care and received prednisone tablets and cream ( does not work). Zinc oxide on my skin and COLD compress feels best. My dermatologist does not treat rashes. The itching feels like poison ivy, blisters, then “pop” or subside. RXTREME itching. I wore gloves during the night which helped.
What could it be? My husband does not have any symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chemical burns from swimming pool water ,recommendations given in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* This is due to chemical burns on skin following swimming pool water exposure
which got worsened by hot sun rays .

* Guidelines for better relief

@ Local care
- Do not poke the bump to take out fluid ( which may cause infection ) .
- Ice pack application 3 times a day for 5 minutes each .
- Zinc oxide application ( with help of sterile stick ) in form of thin layer
3 times a day .
- Wear loose , clean , cotton clothes .
- Avoid exposure to excess heat .

@ Systemic care
- Avoid prednisone tablets ( which will delay the healing process ) .
- Get prescription of tablet benadryl to be taken 2 times a day after meals .
- Can take tab. ibuprofen ( 400 ) mg 3 times a day after meals if no drug
sensitivity .
- Consume plenty of liquids , balanced nutritious diet for faster healing .
- Keep blood sugar under control .

* Need of systemic antibiotics require physical examination or an evaluation
with a photo pic of the bump as an attachment if possible .

Hope this clears your query .

Wishing you fine recovery .
Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 4 days later
Thank you, Your explanation was very helpful. I believe you r correct, as what you suggest has helped. How long does this last? Thank you for confirming the prednisone reaction. I no longer have bumps, only mild “itchy spots”; ice cools. Do I need a blood test? I am concerned that my skin may have absorbed the chemicals into my body. I feel a general malaise with low energy. Taking nap during the day. Have a very busy schedule, with lots of stress, which does not help. Do you recommend I continue to take epsom salt bath, or does the salt negatively affect my healing?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up .

Detailed Answer:
Welcome XXXXXXX ,

Glad to hear about your progress & recovery .

* Kindly find further details for your queries

@ Blood test is not required for you at this recovering stage .
It is the skin layer issue with reactions and eruptions , not systemic absorption
Usually it takes around 2 - 3 weeks for recovery .

@ Malaise and low energy is from over work , not skin condition .
Consume plenty of liquids preferably organic tea , coffee , lemon juice more .
Pure honey also helps for this .
Try to manage at least 6 - 7 hours sound sleep for early recovery .
I personally recommend for YOGA for stress ( not for skin problem ) .

@ Continue epsom salt bath , that will help healing for sure .

Welcome for any further assistance .
Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana