What do persistent dizziness and burning sensation in the abdomen indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ive been having dizzy spells hear the last few days my sinius are stopped up i sneeze my chest hurts my stomach burns i have gerd and anxitey problems i think im having a heart attack
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Solutions provided

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that the mentioned symptoms are not indicative of heart attack and you need not worry. If you are apprehensive you may visit the ER and get an EKG done but I hope that the report would be normal.

Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and sneezing is an allergic manifestation. Taking some antiallergic like cetirizine should help.

Sinusitis is an infection of sinuses, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus. Take rest and plenty of fluids to drink. You may take naproxen 500 mg tablet when required, in case you have pain.

In order to relieve yourself in terms of GERD, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in).
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

You need not worry. Hopefully it would be get well soon. You would need to seek additional medical help in case of respiratory distress or increased wheezing.

Feel free to write back.