What causes persistent cough and nasal discharge in a child?
This query is for my 8 weeks old baby boy. He is having cough for almost a week now. Whenever lying down flat on bed, he makes noise while breathing. Congestion related. Earlier we were in XXXXXXX and last weekend we Moved to XXXXXXX for Holidays. We have given him below medicines.
1. Mucolite since last week .3 ml 3 times a day since last week 2. See attached image for medicines
Query - He is passing green stools for last 2days. Is this a cause of concern?
There is not much improvement in cough even aftergiving oftil nz, seedorest cz and tylac z. This treatment we have taken for 2 days yet. He passed some cough through vomit and seems some cough through stools also. Please advise. No fever and runny nose. Watery eyes only when he cries much
Probably upper respiratory tract infection
Welcome to HCM. Can understand your concerns.
Cough and nasal discharge from one week in a 8 month old baby suggest that the child is most probably having upper respiratory tract infection.
If the child is feeling well and passing urine more than 6 times a day then it's not a serious issue. if child is not feeling well or having respiratory distress then immediate examination by doctor should be done.
Continue speedorest-cz drops. Start nasoclear nose drops 1 drop in each nostril three times a day for 3 days. antibiotic like cefixime needs to be started but the dose of medicine depends on the weight of child. Kindly revert back with the exact rate of child.
A child sometimes may pass green stools and it's a normal thing, I think you should not worry about this.
I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Upper respiratory tract infection
Welcome once again.
Cefixime drops are available in trade names of zifi drops, mahacef drops, taxim-o drops. Start 0.6 ml three times a day for 3 days.
If no improvement in 24 hours and get child examined by doctor. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Palpitations cause persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What causes persistent cough after an upper respiratory tract infection
- What is the cure for persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and occasional dizziness
- What causes persistant coughing and choking
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- Can alcohol consumption cause persistent cough
- Persistant cough causes
- What causes persistent cough in a 14 months old
- Suggest treatment for cold, wheezing and allergic bronchitis
- What causes involuntary tremors in right leg of infant?
- Suggest dosage of Paracetamol for fever
- Suggest healthy diet for prevention of malnutrition in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe cough and cold in a child
- Is a 11 month old scared of loud noises a cause for concern?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe diarrhea in a child
- What does this stool test report indicate?
- Suggest remedy for severe fever in a child