What causes persistent cough and nasal discharge in a child?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,2.

This query is for my 8 weeks old baby boy. He is having cough for almost a week now. Whenever lying down flat on bed, he makes noise while breathing. Congestion related. Earlier we were in XXXXXXX and last weekend we Moved to XXXXXXX for Holidays. We have given him below medicines.
1. Mucolite since last week .3 ml 3 times a day since last week 2. See attached image for medicines
Query - He is passing green stools for last 2days. Is this a cause of concern?

There is not much improvement in cough even aftergiving oftil nz, seedorest cz and tylac z. This treatment we have taken for 2 days yet. He passed some cough through vomit and seems some cough through stools also. Please advise. No fever and runny nose. Watery eyes only when he cries much
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. Can understand your concerns.

Cough and nasal discharge from one week in a 8 month old baby suggest that the child is most probably having upper respiratory tract infection.

If the child is feeling well and passing urine more than 6 times a day then it's not a serious issue. if child is not feeling well or having respiratory distress then immediate examination by doctor should be done.

Continue speedorest-cz drops. Start nasoclear nose drops 1 drop in each nostril three times a day for 3 days. antibiotic like cefixime needs to be started but the dose of medicine depends on the weight of child. Kindly revert back with the exact rate of child.

A child sometimes may pass green stools and it's a normal thing, I think you should not worry about this.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 16 minutes later
He is 8 weeks old baby. His Most recent weight was 5 kg. He is sometimes playful and active. Passing Urine 4-5 times a day. Oftil nz has an antibiotic salt.Whats the medicine name having cefixime salt?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Cefixime drops are available in trade names of zifi drops, mahacef drops, taxim-o drops. Start 0.6 ml three times a day for 3 days.

If no improvement in 24 hours and get child examined by doctor. Take care.