Does a sore head post sinus treatment require medical attention?

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a sinus infection about a month ago and right after i had a headache on the top back of my head. It was not severe but throbbing intermidiatly. Head ache long gone but the same spot is sore to the touch and i is sore if i move my head most any direction. Is this something to worry about
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

As such it is not something to be worried about. However, sinusitis can be difficult be get full relief from. Sinusitis is an infection of sinuses, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus.

Take rest and plenty of fluids to drink. You may take naproxen 500 mg tablet when required, in case you have pain.

You need not worry. Hopefully it would be get well soon. You would need to seek additional medical help in case of respiratory distress or increased wheezing.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha