How long should vitamin D3 drops be continued for a newborn?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi my daughter was advised vitamin d3 drops after birth how long should it be continued? Now she is 42 days old so can we stop it?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please continue till 6 months of age - we can decide later

Detailed Answer:
Hi...You should be continue vitamin D supplementation till she is at least 6 months of age. We will take a call on continuing the required daily allowance (RDA), after assessing her growth pattern and out door behavior after this.

As per latest international recommendations you should give 400 IU (International Units) of vitamin D daily.

The vitamin D3 preparations come in different strengths like -

400IU per 1 ml
400IU per 5 ml
800IU per 1 ml
800IU per 5 ml

Make sure you are giving only 400IU per day. You can see the composition label on the medicine bottle which you are using and decide on this.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 hours later
Thanks and one more thing my daughter is having slight congestion in nose and the pediatrician asked me to use only nasal drops and avoid any medicines but the mucus is not coming out with nasal drops should I use any other method to remove mucus from her nose?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only saline nassal drops are recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hi...your pediatrician was right. Do not use any medicines for cough and cold and use only saline nasal drops for nasal congestion.

usually other methods suggested are - clearing the nostril with a bulb sucker, but sometimes it may lead to mucosal damage and bleeding and hence not recommended.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the pageopens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 19 hours later
Can we give steam inhalation?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please do not give steam inhalation

Detailed Answer:
Hi... please do not give steam inhalation at such a tender age. It might actually irritate the lower airways and trigger bronchospasm. This might land the baby up in respiratory distress.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana