What do my lab test results indicate?
Hello and welcome,
I'll preface what I'm going to say that personally I tend to not be overly aggressive in treating mildly elevated LDL (bad cholesterol), especially with good triglycerides (via VLDL) and HDL.
As you pointed out, the statins do have their side effects, and I've seen problems with their effects on muscles and the liver.
I do get more aggressive about treating elevated LDL if a patient has a personal or family history of heart attacks or cardiovascular disease, and especially if a person is a cigarette smoker. Tobacco harms the lining of blood vessels and allows the cholesterol to deposit and form plaques.
I'm not a big advocate of red yeast rice because it can interfere with metabolism of other drugs in the liver and has some of the same side effects as the statins and there are not a lot of guidelines for it's use.
Given your lipid panel, I would focus more on maximizing lifestyle changes rather than adding red yeast rice right now.
If you smoke, it is imperative that you quit.
Your exercise regimen is excellent, so keep up the good work there.
Increase vegetables in your diet (fruits too, but not as much, because of sugar content).
Oatmeal (in moderation) can help decrease cholesterol.
And the fish oil, if good quality, is a wise idea too.
So, make modifications to your diet, and have your lipids rechecked in 3 months to see if you are making progress. Reevaluate then. But no, I wouldn't add red yeast rice at this point.
If you'd like a second opinion, I do know that we have a nutritionist who answers questions on this site from time to time. So you can repost your question but put at the beginning of the first line "For nutritionist".
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Complement test done what do the results indicate
- What does the test result indicate
- What does the cea market test results indicate
- What does the stool test result indicate
- Done uterus test what does the results indicate
- What does positive result of mantoux test indicate
- Hcg lab test results
- What does my blood test result indicate
- What does test result for rrms indicate
- Prenatal lab tests results
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis