Owl Image

Can Lipitor cause low libido?

Owl Image
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Question
I am a healthy 79 year old male 5foot 10 190 pounds.i exercise daily and do moderate farm chores.beginning within a week after beginning Lipitor there has feen a nearly total loss of libido. Is there a connection?
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
perhaps yes...

Detailed Answer:

lipitor may cause erectile dysfunction although rarely (less than 1 in 100 patients taking it). It may also cause (rarely) various neurological/psychological disorders like depression or fatigue both of which may decrease the sexual drive, but not only that (more symptoms are expected). Impaired libido per se is not expected...

Always keep in mind that when a symptom coincides with the initiation of a new drug then the drug is the most likely offender - directly or indirectly - regardless of its theoretical potential to cause side effects but you can't prove it unless you exclude all other potential causes. The best way to find out is by stopping the drug. If the symptoms disappear and only reappear after you re-start the drug then the cause is almost certainly the drug.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!