What causes loss of libido, erectile dysfunction and retrograde ejaculation after prostate surgery?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had my prostate roto rooted about 5 months ago and sexual function has decreased somewhat steadily and desire has too. I no longer ejaculate. The blue pill doesn't help. Could the procedure have caused this?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sexual Dysfunctions are common after surgery of removal of prostate

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query ,

Loss of libido .erectile dysfunction are common sequele of surgery of removal of prostate .

No ejaculation is known after this surgery and is due to bladder mouth remaining wide open due to resection of bladder neck carried out during resection of prostate .This results in to semen being moving backwards in to bladder instead of moving forward in to urethra and being ejaculated through opening of penis .This is called as retrograde ejaculation and is a known complication of prostate removal surgery .

Taking Sildenafil ( Viagra)or Cialis one hour before sex may help to increase libido and getting erection .However the retrograde ejaculation will not be cured .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.