What causes weight gain, heart palpitations, lack of motivation and constipation?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I am experiencing symptoms of both hypo and hyper thyroid, such as weight gain, tired, sluggish, lack of motivation, and constipation. But I am also having heart palpitations intermittently, especially at night when I lay down to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get your fasting thyroid profile.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

Your symptoms are more suggestive of hypothyroidism here.

The trace mineral iodine (found primarily in seafood, seaweed) and iodized salt are essential for the production of thyroid hormones.

Here,i would advice you to undergo routine blood tests,ESR,ECG and fasting thyroid profile to detect the exact TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone level in blood).

Treatment (thyroxine hormone) would be based on its level.

Kindly do all the tests and get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T