Can contrast negatively impact a nodule growing on the neck?

Endocrinologist
Question
I have a nodule on my neck for a few days now . My doctor think it could be my thyroid. She gave me a prescription for a CT scan with contrast . Wouldn't the contrast affect my thyroid even more since it has iodine ?

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
It is indeed true that Iodine in contrast agents used during CT scans can potentially lead to thyroid problems. However this is uncommon and tends to adversely affect mostly thyroid glands that have a pre-existing abnormality such as an a mildly overactive state which gets worsened after exposure to iodinated contrasts. Such a baseline anomaly is typically detected by running a blood test for TSH, Free T 4 and Total T3. Fasting is not necessary for these tests of thyroid function. Any abnormality in these results merits an Endocrinology evaluation. Generally speaking, an Ultrasound is the best initial test to screen for thyroid nodules instead of CT scan. Ultrasound does not carry the risk of radiation nor iodine content